Suzanne Davies is co-founder with David Clifton of Clifton Davies Consultancy Limited, utilising their extensive past experience as partners at London law firm Joelson Wilson LLP to provide to clients of Clifton Davies a broad base of consulting, gambling, licensing & regulatory advice at competitive and flexible rates.
Whilst practising exclusively in the Licensing and Gambling sectors throughout her professional career, she has looked after:
- in terms of the licensed trade:
- boutique and branded hotels
- the UK’s leading cinema company
- major brewery and pub-operating companies with outlets throughout the UK
- national nightclub operators
- restaurant chains and individual restaurateurs
- celebrity chefs and catering companies
- table-dancing venues
- in terms of the gambling industry:
- nationally (and internationally) known casino and bingo businesses
- betting, AGC and lottery operators
- gaming machine manufacturers and gambling software providers
- a leading industry sector trade association
Independently described as “highly impressive” and a “forthright and feisty advocate” who is “extremely conscientious and gives 100% for her clients, with a profound knowledge of the industry”, Suzanne has been responsible for the licensing of such iconic London venues as:
- the Millennium Dome (now the O2 Arena)
- the Orangery at Kensington Palace
- Somerset House
- the Lyceum Theatre
- the Empire Casino
- the Odeon Cinema, Leicester Square
Other specialist areas in which Suzanne has extensive experience include all forms of online gambling licensing & regulation (both in Great Britain and overseas and both B2C & B2B), the conduct of AML and social responsibility reviews and audits for gambling operators, advising on gambling advertising issues and prize competitions (including the provision of guidance to marketing companies on product promotions) and production of pre-transactional Licensing & Regulatory Due Diligence Reports.
With David, Suzanne has been a contributing editor to three of the main sources of reference on UK licensing and gambling law:
- Smith & Monkcom: The Law of Gambling (3rd edition)
- Kolvin: Licensed Premises Law & Practice (1st edition)
- Halsbury’s Laws of England: Betting, Gaming & Lotteries (4th edition)
An active member of the International Association of Gaming Advisors, Suzanne is also a frequent speaker at conferences and contributor to industry journals and magazines, including a regular legal page in Pub & Bar Magazine. All of these publications and relevant industry news items are posted in the Articles/News section of this website.
Please note that Clifton Davies Consultancy Limited is not a law firm and is not regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and, in providing her services via Clifton Davies Consultancy Limited, Suzanne is not practising as a solicitor regulated by the SRA.