We have previously reported that the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) has commissioned research into the operation and impact of the Late Night Levy in London, including analysis of crime and antisocial behaviour. That research was due to be completed during January 2020, with a final report delivered to MOPAC and the Greater London Authority (“GLA”) during February 2020.
A survey on the Late Night Levy imposed in the London boroughs of Islington, Camden, Hackney and Tower Hamlets and in the City of London is now being conducted by Night Time Solutions Limited on behalf of MOPAC.
The introduction to the survey reads as follows:
Do you live, work or go out in Islington, Camden, Hackney, Tower Hamlets or the City of London boroughs? If so, we would like to hear your opinions on that borough at night, which we define as between 6pm and 6am.
You are being asked to take part in this survey because all of these boroughs have introduced a Late Night Levy. The Levy is a charge that businesses pay if they sell alcohol after midnight and the money raised aims to reduce crime, improve safety, deal with nuisance behaviour and cleanliness at night.
This research is being carried out by Night Time Economy Solutions Ltd on behalf of the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, with the support of the Greater London Authority and the borough councils.
The survey should take around 5 minutes to complete, and your response is completely anonymous. You can edit your response until the survey closes on Sunday 1st March. If you have any questions about the survey, please email us at [email protected]The Late Night Levy started in(a) The City of London in October 2014(b) Islington in November 2014(c) Camden in April 2016(d) Hackney in Nov 2017(e) Tower Hamlets in January 2018Please keep these dates in mind whilst answering the survey.
- Please choose from the drop down list the borough that you either live in, go out in or work in most at night.
- Please can you tell us whether you are (please tick all that apply): a resident, the owner or manager of a night-time economy business, a night worker (i.e work between 6 pm and 6 am), a visitor to from another London borough, a visitor from outside London or overseas, other (please specify.
- Have you, or have you not noticed any changes to this borough at night since the Late Night Levy started?
- Thinking about your selected borough at night since the Late Night Levy started, do you think that crime and disorder has increased, decreased or stayed about the same?
- Thinking about your selected borough at night since the Late Night Levy started, have your perceptions of safety increased, decreased or stayed about the same?
- Since the night time levy was introduced in your selected borough how do you think the following issues have changed (and please can you tell us where these things take place in your selected borough (i.e. on your street, in nightlife centres, outside specific premises or public transport hubs, parks, etc.)?
- Rowdy behaviour from individuals or groups
- People being dangerously drunk
- Aggressive or violent behaviour from individuals or groups
- Use of or fear of individuals or groups carrying weapons
- Aggressive, unwanted or persistent begging or rough sleeping
- Sexual harassment
- Going to the toilet or being sick in the street
- Noise from groups or individuals in the street or public spaces
- Unwanted or intrusive noise from venues
- Unwanted or intrusive noise from amplified busking after 9pm
- Offensive or illegal graffiti
- Thinking about your selected borough at night since the Late Night Levy started do you think that the cleanliness of the area has increased, decreased or stayed about the same? This could relate to the provision and emptying of bins, clean streets, litter picking, removal of graffiti, quickly remedied grot spots, etc.
- In comparison to before the Late Night Levy was introduced in your selected borough has the amount you go out at night?
- How regularly have you been out after midnight in your selected borough in the past year?
- Before taking this survey, did you know that since the introduction of the Late Night Levy any premises that sells alcohol after midnight pays a levy to the local council?
- Since the Late Night Levy was introduced in your selected borough how responsible do you think bars, restaurants and nightclubs in have been in managing customer safety, crime, disorder noise and cleanliness outside their premises at night?
The survey also poses the following questions for the owners or managers of a night-time economy business:
- Overall do you have a positive or negative impression of the Late Night Levy?
- Does your business pay the Late Night Levy?
- To what extent do you feel that you know how the Late Night Levy money is spent?
You can access the survey here.