David Clifton is pictured below opening KnowNow’s Player Protection Forum Digital Conference yesterday, 26 January 2021, with a “Review of the current player protection landscape” session.
You can download below the full text of David’s presentation at yesterday’s conference. It covered player protection and safer gambling developments over the last year or so, dating back to the UK’s main political parties’ gambling-related manifesto proposals prior to the December 2019 General Election and continuing right up to last week’s:
- updated CAP ‘Age-restricted Ads Online’ Guidance,
- Behavioural Insights Team’s research findings on deposit limit tools and
- Gambling Commission data still showing no evidence of a significant or sustained increase in gambling activity during the Covid-19 pandemic.
David’s presentation also focussed on increased player protection measures implemented by the online gambling sector by reason of the Covid-19 pandemic and the highly topical issue of affordability, as well as his forecasts on some of the wide-ranging potential future changes to the player protection landscape that may yet be ushered in by the UK Government Review of the Gambling Act 2005, launched last month.
The conference included excellent sessions on:
- the importance of a player protection culture within licensed gambling businesses,
- game design and the communication to customers of relative risk levels within the games they play,
- gambling harm as a public health (not public relations) issue,
- delivery of the national gambling education programme,
- the psychology of problem gambling in women, and
- additional measures needed to protect players (with a particular focus on the ‘single customer view’ initiative).
You can download below KnowNow’s own Overview of the conference.
We thoroughly recommend KnowNow’s specialist and highly informative conferences and training courses for all those within, or supplying services to, the gambling industry as well as those involved in player support and gambling related harm treatment services.
KnowNow’s next upcoming events are listed below:
- 9-11 February 2021: Training: Assessing Complex Customer Finances for Source of Wealth and Affordability
- 23-25 February 2021: Training: Understanding the Inside Out Approach for Effective Interactions with Vulnerable Players
- 9 March – 8 April 2021: Digital Course: Protecting Your Business and Your Customers from Harm
- 19-20 May 2021: Conference: Social Responsibility for Gambling Operators and Keeping Crime out of Gambling 2021